Friday 20 September 2013

Egoism and Insanity in Classical Dance

When in Delhi, I am ensconced at the Sangeet Natak Akademi library, a pleasant place with lovely staff and above all a good collection of books and journals. I do not venture to watch much of dance in the evenings as I have to negotiate a great distance back to where I stay in NOIDA by the metro rail. The city makes me feel jittery after sunset. The crudity of the Delhi "lehza" is harsh on my sensibilities and does not generate much confidence in the humanity of the place. Its tough to trust an autorickshaw ride or a cycle rickshaw journey back home from the nearest metro station. The vast lonely stretches of roads makes one very uncomfortable at night.

My friend nudged me to catch up the Bharatanatyam recital of a talented dancer, Lakshman, and I succumbed to the temptation. Of the many concerns the classical dance presentations arouse in me.... all of which I shall not expound here.... I have to report the following.

Lakshman is technically excellent; but has put on weight and has become sluggish on his feet.... abhinaya is not his forte but he had to present a varnam to prove his mettle.... so far so good...

Sudha Raghuraman, a singer par excellence was accompanying on the vocals.... its not her fault that she is a fantastic singer.... but the singer forgets that she is an accompaniment and the beautiful and yet unnecessary flourishes in singing, which are not being executed in dance movement, are a distraction. They take away the spectator from the dancer and the dance. Why is the simple fact that dance is the visual execution of the lyric and music forgotten and the singer charts a course of her own while the dancer is not able to execute the same? In this case even the mridanga player sought to highlight his instrument by demanding an increase in the volume of his mike.

What is the point? I go to watch a Bharatanatyam recital.... and end up getting snatches of excellent singing and spirited playing of the mridnga.... a bit of dancing here and there only when the dancer manages to overshadow the parallel performances of the accompanists... the egoistic components of what could have been a fine product.... if only they see sanity.....and care for their art; if not for the supreme sacrifice of the spectator.... who braves difficult logistics to come and watch the program.

The role of accompanists needs to be examined with urgency. Sense must prevail to prevent the already "out of context" presentations of classical dances from becoming caricatures....

I pray to God that I am blessed with the ability to enjoy whatever comes my way and be sympathetic and tolerant in my report/review of the performance and .....enjoy my martyrdom as a spectator at the altar of insane presentation of the classical dances of my country.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing post.Nagpur has a wide culture of folk dance and X-Factor is among the best folk dance classes in Nagpur.FOr more details,contact XFactor Nagpur.

    ReplyDelete